Tuesday, December 28, 2010

King David

C:  "Mom, I want to meet King David.  He was so awesome...killing Goliath, saving God's people, using his slingshot"  [each of these word pictures were punctuated with live action, by the way]

Me:  "Well, honey, you can't.  He's been dead for hundreds of years."  (mind you, I'm completely distracted, reading a book at this point)

C:  [astounded silence...breaking into shock and awe...then horror at the realization...as he crumbles to the floor in tears]  "But I wanted to meeeeeeeeeeeeet hiiiiiiiiiiiim...............!!!!"

Now, at this point...before you think I'm a bad mom, I've totally put my book down.  I had no idea how involved this was going to get.  I gather my little sobbing heap into my arms and am trying to make sense of this seemingly spiritual meltdown...

Me:  "Honey, King David was a real person, but he lived hundreds of years ago.  He's in heaven now.  But one day, because of what Jesus did for us, we'll be in heaven too, and you can meet him." 

C:  [now pouting] "But he's dead."

Me:  [sensing the conversation was about to take a deep turn...one too deep, possibly, for my little 5-year-old-at-the-time]  "But he's alive in heaven!" 

C:  [still pouting...but now pensive]  "But he's dead."

Me:  "When we die on earth, we get to go to heaven and we're alive again with Jesus.  He gives us a new body."  [Lord, help me here...]

C:  "Really?  A new body?"  [King David is now a thing of the past.  Literally.]

Me:  "Really."

C:  "Wow.  Mommy...I can't wait to get to heaven to get my new body!  I bet Jesus picked a really good one out for me!!  I'll bet I'm really handsome." 

For sure, little man.  For sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment